What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. he kept things interesting and entertaining. dr. riely is the best professor I've had so far.
2. strengths: He was able to explain complicated concepts in interesting and amusing ways.weakness: doesn't pay enough attention to whether the dl stuff records his whiteboard writings properly (minor)
3. Very good presenter in class, keeps me awake!
4. It's really hard to find a weakness in Dr. Riely. He's a great teacher with deep knowledge of the contents. I heard, before taking the class, that Dr. Riely would not be a good choice, because his classes are hard. I do not agree with that at all. He makes all the content, including the most difficult parts, seems to be very simple. I encourage everybody to take classes with him.
5. Strengths: energetic, motivating, humorousWeakness: slide updates too close to class time each week
6. Stregth: understands the material and how to present it, very good both in class and on course online.
7. very knowledgable. For a grad class, office hours shouldnt be during work hours.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
2. The demonstration of how to apply patterns to software design.
3. Working on something approaching an enterprise-scale development project.
4. The great teacher, without a doubt. Also, the readings during the course were great. It's good to know what to read out of the course.
6. working on project was great for developing java skills and for understanding use of patterns introduced in class.
7. Very in-depth concepts, although we just touched on them. Expected a lot, was challenging.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
2. More discussion of actual design problems and how to decide which patterns can be used. Perhaps setting up teams of people to help each other bounce solution ideas about their projects. The mailing list is good but an alternative wouldn't hurt.
3. Perhaps get another textbook for the required text.
4. Hard to find something to improve. The homeworks during the first weeks were a great way to learn, but the project after the midterm is helping a lot too.
5. More focus on differences between extending classes & implementing interfaces, expecially WRT the UML. Also, some standardization on UML, without confusing older GOF references
6. The use of specific Software in the course seemed more complex then necessary. I suggest useing a different way of development without ANT and Junit.
7. Not long enough. Were able to touch on material, but couldn't dive in.
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
2. Grading was very fair, exams also.
3. Very fair.
4. Very impartial. I liked it.
6. Projects seems a little bit too time consuming
2. I'd take it over again!
4. Great! Dr. Riely, continue the good job! I hope to get some more courses with you in the future.
6. It might be helpful to have more time on projects or make the projects a group assignment.